Class Info for Yoga and Ayurvedic Workshops
South Indian Inspired Martial Arts
– Start the day with an invigorating, self-monitored practice based on the teachings and practices of Kalaripayattu. Sweat, stabilize, and focus in this unique class that reaches for more than just the physical. Learn and practice ancient movements that connect you to your deepest roots, and understand the energetic aspects of the body how it relates to others and the Earth. Open to all levels.
Kalaripayattu 1 & 2
– Kalaripayattu is an ancient martial art form that is from the southern state of Kerala, India. It is the oldest form of martial art known to mankind, and is said to be so old that it has its origins in the Gods. Sweat, stabilize, and focus in this unique class that reaches for more than just the physical. Learn and practice ancient movements that connect you to your deepest roots, and understand the energetic aspects of the body how it relates to others and the Earth. Open to all levels.
Primary Series Ashtanga
– Classical, led Ashtanga primary series. This is a series of 51 postures that is practiced sequentially following sun salutations, or Surya Namaskar A & B. The Primary Series is the first series of asanas in Ashtanga Yoga, with other series following as the practitioner advances. Primary Series is also known as Yoga Chikitsa, which translates to “yoga therapy.” With dedicated, consistent practice, this series purges toxicities and prepares the body for a deeper practice, both mental and physical. 90-min long. Available to most levels – practitioner should have some general knowledge of yoga to feel comfortable in this fast paced class.
– Hatha is a beautiful place to both start your yoga practice and deepen your yoga practice. The principle of Hatha yoga is to find union between the body and spirit through breath, balance, and awareness. This class is slowly paced with a strong emphasis on building solid foundations in mindfulness and steadiness. Learn the breakdown of essential postures all while strengthening the body and softening the mind. This is a good class to take if Primary Series is too difficult, or if the practitioner is seeking structured guidance. Any and all levels welcome.
– Vinyasa is breath with movement. This quicker paced class will leave you filled with energy, with lots of fresh oxygen flowing throughout the body. The vinyasa experience rolls out in a series of waves, each one increasing in intensity to a peak, then slowly ebbing to a place of stillness; weaving breath, alignment, strength and flexibility. Intermediate paced class
Alignment Yoga – All Levels
– Alignment Yoga is a form of hatha yoga that offers a modern approach to the ancient practice of yoga with insightful adaptations to fit present-day experiences. It is based on extensive knowledge of anatomy and aims to provide individuals with the skills to develop stability, strength, and flexibility as well as bring enhanced mindfulness not only to our mats but also in other daily activities. Alignment Yoga is accessible to people of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds and can enrich, complement and/or integrate into any lifestyle. This class is open to all and is particularly wonderful for anyone looking to start or maintain a home practice.
– Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan combines kriyas, meditation, pranayama and mantra. It is referred to as the yoga of awareness and mother of all yoga because it includes all yoga within it. Kundalini is the flow of energy and consciousness that exists within each of us and enables us to merge our individual consciousness with the universal consciousness. Kundalini Yoga allows our fullest potential to flower and has the power to unleash and unlock barriers within ourselves that no longer serve us. Open to all levels
Heart & Hips
– Influenced by Ashtanga, this class primarily focuses on opening the hips and heart. Expect a moderately paced class, with emphasis on backbending. A perfect way to deepen any yoga practice. Open to all levels
Yoga for everyBODY
– This class is designed to create an environment where anyone can feel comfortable and confident in practicing yoga regardless of their experience. Yoga is about more than flexibility and “perfect” yoga poses. In this class we will focus on creating a safe space for each individual to practice yoga in a way that honors their body. It is often said that “we want the pose to fit the body and not the body to fit the pose.” Come explore what that looks like for you! Open to all levels
– Learn about sacred vedic texts (sruti), astrology (Jyotish), sanskrit, underlying Hinduism ideology, and much more! Laid-back, food and drink are always welcome and encouraged to be shared. This class also hosts our monthly, WAYU yoga potlucks. Keep updated with the schedule to make it to the next one!