With a pitta composition, managing the your dosha is very important to maintaining your health. When Pitta is unbalanced, this can lead to heartburn, diarrhea, sweating, and excessive hunger. The following tips can help keep those with a Pitta Dosha to stay in balance.
- Hot, Sharp, Oily, Spreading
Qualities You Need:
- Cold, Heavy, Dry, Dull, Stable
Tastes to Love:
- Sweet, Bitter, Astringent
Foods to Love:
- GRAINS: Barley, Basmati rice, Millet, Oats, Whole Wheat
- DAIRY: unsalted butter, cream cheese, ghee, whole milk
- SWEETENERS: maple syrup, rice syrup
- OILS: coconut oil, ghee, sunflower oil, almond oil
- FRUITS: (ripened) apples, avocados, cantaloupe, coconut, dates, figs, grapes
- VEGETABLES: Dandelion greens, sprouts, artichoke, bitter melon, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, cucumber, mushrooms, squashes, leafy greens
- NUTS & SEEDS: coconut, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds
- MEATS: chicken, egg whites, fish, turkey (limit consumption 2-3x a week)
- LEGUMES: lentils, chickpeas, mung beans, split peas
- SPICES: cardamom, chamomile, coconut, coriander, dill, fennel, lemon verbena, peppermint, saffron, turmeric, cumin
Tastes to Avoid:
- Sour, Salty, Pungent
Foods to Avoid:
- GRAINS: buckwheat, corn
- DAIRY: buttermilk, salted cheeses, sour cream, yogurt
- SWEETENERS: refined, processed sugar
- OILS: castor, flaxseed, margarine, mustard, peanut, safflower, sesame
- FRUITS: *All sour and unripe fruits, citrus, pineapple, olives
- VEGETABLES: chilies, peppers, mustard greens, onion, radishes, tomatoes
- NUTS & SEEDS: cashews, macadamia nuts, pecans, pistachios, peanuts
- MEATS: Red, dark meat
- SPICES: Anise, calamus, cayenne, cloves, fenugreek, garlic, ginger, marjoram, mustard, nutmeg, poppy, sage
*Digestive Tip for heartburn and acidity: Ghee with Milk
- Before eating, drink a small glass of warm milk with ghee. This helps coat the stomach and neutralize gastric juices before consuming food.
- If you don’t like ghee or milk, try chewing on some Fennel seeds after a meal to help neutralize and cool down stomach acid reflexes.
- Another great way to treat sour stomach is to drink an ounce of pomegranate juice.
- Aloe vera gel or juice is also amazing for cooling down pitta.